Friday, July 3, 2020

In Jesus's gym you can overcome

This week I wanted to challenge you with something that seems impossible but with continued practice is something you can do. I Googled "impossible hand trick" and the number one result is seen below.


With this hand trick, the pinky finger bends sideways and is held down by the middle finger. The ring finger is bent over the top of the middle finger and tucks in behind the pointer finger which is bending down. The thumb bends across the middle finger and helps to lock the top digit of the middle finger in place. Sounds simple, right? I tried doing it and my middle-aged fingers did not want to cooperate! In order to overcome (succeed, prevail) this trick, you are going to have to practice and stretch and practice and stretch and practice some more.

So why, on our final week in the Dog Pound, did I want to challenge you with an impossible task? The answer can be found in Romans 12:21, the last verse in Romans 12.

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.


Some of you may remember our first Dog Pound Bible study. We talked about not conforming to the world but being transformed by the renewing of our minds.Verse 21 draws our attention back to these ideas of conforming and transforming.

Do not be overcome by evil. This is telling us to not let evil get the best of us. It is telling you: don't let evil beat you. This world, which the Bible tells us is the kingdom of the devil, wants to push and punch and shove you in every way until you are just like it. The devil would love to see you as a thief, disobedient to your parents, disrespectful to your teachers, uncaring about others, turning your back on God and Jesus and all the love that is trying to make its way into your heart. The devil wants to overcome you.

God has given us tools that we can use to fight back against the devil, starting with his son, Jesus. When Jesus died on the cross, it is like he opened up a gym for you, in order to transform you into a devil fighting machine.
  • In Jesus's gym, you can practice saying no to the devil.
  • In Jesus's gym, you can practice showing love to other people.
  • In Jesus's gym, you can find the strength, through God's word, to fight the devil, every day.
  • In Jesus's gym, you can work out with your friends so that you grow in strength together.
Then, one day, when you meet Jesus face to face, you can tell him that you overcame evil with good.

Thank you for joining me as we have looked at the verses in the 12th chapter in the book of Romans. I hope the rest of your summer is great and I look forward to seeing you 'round the Pound.

Joke of the Week
Overcome with the beauty of Earth from space, the astronaut removed his helmet...
The view was breathtaking!

(bonus joke)
I have a fear of stairs...
I'm not sure what steps I should take to overcome it!